Changing the way Central Alberta responds to Child Abuse
What To Do If you Suspect Child Abuse
Children’s Services Intervention Office: (403) 340-5400
Child Services 24 Hour Crisis Line: 1-800-638-0715
RCMP: (403) 343-5575
It is your legal duty to report suspected child abuse. You do not need proof, just a reasonable suspicion.
Helping Victims Become Children Again
What you Need to Know
About the CACAC
Working collaboratively in a culturally relevant and trauma-informed system, we achieve greater results than any partner could on their own. It blends investigation, treatment, prevention, education and research with expertise to provide an integrated practice approach wrapping around children and always working in the best interests of the child.
What is Child Abuse?
Recognizing Signs Of Child Abuse
- Children may display physical or emotional signs of maltreatment. Signs may include:
- Sudden changes in behaviour or performance.
- Unexplained physical injuries or injuries that don’t match the child’s explanation.
- Extreme behavioural reactions such as aggression or withdrawal.
- Sexual knowledge or behaviour beyond their stage of development.
- Does not want to be at home or runs away.
- Always hungry, sick or not suitably dressed for the conditions.
Be Aware Of Your Initial Reaction
- Allow the child to do most of the talking. If you need more understanding about the context, use an open-ended question or phrase such as “Tell me more.”
- Once you have reasonable grounds to suspect abuse, or the child discloses, stop asking any further questions.
- Reassure the child that telling you was the right thing to do.
- Explain to the child that you believe them and will need to tell someone who can help them. You cannot keep it a secret.
Document Any Comments Verbatim
In The News
Home Lottery – Watch for more information Fall 2018
Contact Alaine at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on events, sponsorship or donations
Battle of Alberta 2018
The inaugural Battle of Alberta Golf Tournament event was a great success with over $500,000 raised! We would like to sincerely thank all those involved, including the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames organizations and players for making this all possible. To the over 190 sponsors, we couldn’t have done it without you! Our event committee members – you dedicated so much time and effort, and to all the volunteers who donated their time, we thank you! The three-part event was filled with energy and excitement including exclusive live and silent auctions, celebrity hot stoves and musical entertainment.
Thanks to everyone who bought tickets and joined in on the fun! We look forward to the next battle!
~ The Central Alberta Child Advocacy Team